Let me see if I understand this correctly:
Entitled “Facebook Abstainers Could Be Labeled Suspicious”, the
SlashDot piece states “not having a Facebook account could be the
first sign that you are a mass murderer.”
And this is SlashDot, not some obscure left wing (or is it right wing, I can never remember) on-line journal.
Forbes takes social stigma further by associating a person’s Facebook
absence to finding a job or a date. Would you hire or go out with
someone who didn’t seem to be on Facebook? Would his/her absence on the
site put doubt in your mind?
Well, would it?
So, for all of you out there who have so far resisted the temptation of
keeping an on-line diary and handing over its contents to a private
company, watch out. Your real-life friends and colleagues might start
looking at you funny.
Of course that’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it, just so long as he
doesn’t present this as an idea for government. Perhaps as a precaution
we should take all those people and, as the pundit once said, “line them
up against a wall before birth and shoot them”.
But lets face it, that, too, would be Social Engineering.
- Are you a potentially dangerous social misfit (aka not on Facebook)? (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- People who don’t join Facebook are suspicious: Pundits (metronews.ca)
- People who don’t join Facebook are suspicious, say pundits (thestar.com)
- Not joining Facebook a sign you’re a psychopath? (mobot.net)
- Are People Who Don’t Use Facebook Psychopaths? (fox4kc.com)
- Not on Facebook? You’re probably a psychopath (theweek.co.uk)
- The Favored Ideology of Misfits and EDPs* Everywhere (aleksandreia.com)
- If You Don’t Have A Facebook Account, There’s A Good Chance You’re A Sociopathic Serial Killer (thegloss.com)